EXPERIENCED ENTREPRENEURS, INVESTORS, AND OPERATORS, COMMERCIALIZING THE TECHNOLOGIES OF TOMORROW, TODAY
We are in the midst of the most rapid acceleration of technology the world has experienced, maybe ever. Social distancing has only accentuated trends that were already well underway such as machine learning and technology moving to the edge.
Headquartered in New York City, we are proven investors and entrepreneurs, focused on investing $2M to $8M in post-seed, innovative teams disrupting large markets with deep technology, embedded in end-to-end solutions.
Our team filters the data, we look for proprietary opportunities with incubators, seed funds and other thought leaders around the world. It’s about our shared passion and being part of an experienced and like-minded team, making a difference by advocating and bringing life-changing technologies to humanity.
Highlights of our strategy include:
- Focused investment thesis
- Emerging managers with domain and operational expertise
- Azafran Catalyst Platform de-risks our investments by accelerating growth for our portfolio companies
- Global referral and deal-flow network with multiplier effects
- Active investors that provide leadership and operational value
- Data-driven and forward-looking investment outlook versus consensus positions
MODALITIES: Voice, Acoustics/Sensory, Imagery
FOCUS: Augmented AI / Machine Learning, Datasets, Deep Learning, Neural Networks
MARKETS: Health, Wellness and Enterprise
Azafran is Spanish for “Saffron” which is known to be the most valuable spice in the world. At one time Saffron was more valuable than gold, used as currency and was viewed as possessing transformational value. Our name Azafran reminds us of our international scope and our mission to find founders who are developing transformational technology and seeking to build extraordinary companies.
As we choose to be experts instead of generalists, our strategy is already paying off with our incredible early investments (Fund I) in Yobe, Aspinity, Mohawk, TagSpace, and ArmorText (see Portfolio for more details) with a number of new investments on the horizon in transformational companies/technologies.
Why Azafran? Why Now?
Research + Experienced Lens = We See What Others Miss
RECOGNIZING A UNIQUE OPPORTUNITY
Azafran Capital Partners is at the nexus of 10 fundamental trends / opportunities:
- Investment gap $2M to $8M
- In 2020 our research team tracked $27B of transactions in our defined market, up from $23B in 2019, $9B in 2018 and $4B in 2017 @ 75% CAGR
- Longtime YPO and EO members and leaders with connections to over 40K companies globally with ~$10 Trillion in revenues
- Team with deep technology startup, operations, biz dev, investment experience and a passion for entrepreneurs
- No Need for Unicorns or IPOs for success as median hi-tech M&A exit EV is $220M, plus large Secondary Market demand
- Our fund thesis and team value to founders drives above average ownership interests at optimal valuations
- 1 of 15 Deep Tech Funds in the world between $100-$300M AUM
- Greater absolute returns and focus on DVPI vs. TVPI
- AI & ML Early Stage returns are +40%. Between 2X and 3X higher than tech sector (source: PitchBook)
- This is our second fund. Fund One proved our investment thesis and is performing +4X
Combining Experience and Timing with Deep Research
Our quantitative research team created a proprietary database with 5,200+ AI/ML companies worldwide broken into select categories, markets, themes, industries and metrics. There are already 1K+ companies that fit our initial investment criteria and enterprise value. We will invest in the best 20 to 25 companies in Fund II.
Welcome to Azafran INSIGHTS, a newsletter and podcast series exploring the intersection of voice, acoustics and imagery powered by machine learning and deep science technologies.